Monday, August 10, 2009

Itsy Bitsy

For years I've been daydreaming of a small detached studio space where I could read, draw, paint, or just let my mind wander. Think beachy, airy surf shed meets cozy, intimate retreat space. But, like I said, it's only been a fantasy. In the past, two things have mainly gotten in the way of my whimsical work area idea; either I wasn't living in a property with a suitable yard or I had too much square footage (because I was living alone and couldn't justify an additional outdoor office space) inside of my home.

Well, that may be changing. Most of the places we're looking at in North Florida either have detached garages, sheds, or patio areas, which would be perfect for my mini library plans. My mind has been racing lately with visions of an overstuffed chair surrounded by floor to ceiling bookshelves flooded with natural light. Perhaps a matchbox size window bench with an easel that pulls out of the wall and some tiny built-in speakers? A little pitched roof with loads of flowers, of course, and maybe a little mint in the window for sensory enjoyment? Or maybe the entire place unfolds in some magical way, opening with barn doors or a detachable skylight, like a little jewelry box...

This sixty four square foot home in South Carolina has been inspiring me lately, as well.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Kelly, you've inspired me once again! I can't get enough of those Tiny Houses, so I had to blog about it!
-Erica
http://hindrancecrafts.blogspot.com/2009/08/inspiration-tuesday-tiny-houses.html

Kelly Muys Wood said...

Love it, Erica! Especially the one built into the side of a hill...

Magchunk said...

Thanks for your comment on Magchunk! I'm going to update my source for these photos. So fun to find someone else with a love for teensy places!