Friday, November 11, 2011

I Mean It's Not Like Making A Hot Dog

Is what Andrew said to me when I asked him why it's taking so long to bake this baby, and I was this close to yelling, "WELL WE BOTH KNOW WHOSE HOT DOG IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS."

Pregnancy brings out the rational side of me.

It's also turned me into an unbelievably groggy, ridiculously large and disproportionate, shell of my former self. I'm awkward and pukey and none of my clothes fit. I'm like a hungover Sumo wrestler with the flu and a closet full of size zero skinny jeans. The other day I squeezed myself between two boxes while trying to get out of the garage and I couldn't unwedge myself. I fall asleep doing everything from talking to typing to eating to television watching to taking a shower. I fall asleep five minutes after I wake up and then I fall asleep fifteen minutes after I wake up from that. I probably fall asleep while I'm sleeping.

I'm not even certain I'm awake right now.

The only upside to that last part is that sleeping is one of the rare activities that keeps me from vomiting, the other two being working out and eating, which added together pretty much sums up how I've spent my recent days.

So while I probably should be packing, I've been going for runs and walks and making soup and braised ribs and taking afternoon naps.

And evening naps.

And morning naps.

Anyway, all of that to explain why I'm posting another recipe.



Turkey Meatball Escarole Soup

serves 2

1 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 sliced carrot
1/8 cup diced red onion
1 chopped garlic clove
salt
1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 head chopped escarole
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1/2 cup whole wheat elbow pasta
9 precooked frozen turkey meatballs
1/4 cup canned navy beans
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir in carrots, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute four minutes. Add the tomato paste and red pepper. Stir one minute. Mix in escarole.

Add chicken stock and water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta and simmer for five minutes. Add the meatballs and beans and continue simmering another eight minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Mix in lemon juice, black pepper, and more salt, to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan.


6 comments:

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Ahhhhh, sleep. I remember when that shit was good and kept me from barfing. Now I wake up every hour on the hour with shooting pains in my hip bones from sleeping on my sides. Soak it up while you can!

PS: wait till your little hot dog sits on your vertebra and short circuits the nerves in the skin on your belly. I've had a numb spot under my right boobage for DAYS.

Brilliant Sulk said...

It gets better. Really.

Until they're out of the womb and are walking...

You'll do great!

Nutbird said...

I remember when I had my first. I was so nauseous I couldn't get out of bed or eat. I lived on coke and graham crackers. Try Republic of Tea Ginger Peach tea. It should make you feel better. Also raspberry tea is supposed to help. I think you need more B vitamins. When I was pregnant the first time I had to take Bendectin. We are lucky she didn't come out without arms and legs because that is what can happen. They took it off the market. Just go with the flow. This is the last time you will ever get rest. My doctor was happy that I was so sick, because it meant that I had lots of hormones and would have a healthy baby. Hire someone to pack. Ann

aBroad said...

Your being pregnant is supplying us with lots of laughs, you know :)
It definitely gets better. I turned into a hen, sitting on my imaginary egg .. getting rounder than ever imagined possible. So your exercise is a good thing .. keep it up.
If you can stand to cook, then the nausea is not as bad as it could be .. that is good. Sleeping is good.. Are the dogs napping with you too ? My cat loved to lie ON my belly :) til the baby boy kicked him off .. you have that to look forward to :D
meanwhile I am keeping the recipe ! thanks !

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I love reading about your pregnancy, it gives me hope that there are women out there willing to tell the truth!

Hartwood Roses said...

Remember the photograph of a very young Princess Diana in an off-the-shoulder gown, sound asleep at a royal function? Her pregnancy was announced shortly thereafter. Pregnancy make you sleepy, and a million other things. You will be finished baking this baby before you know it.